Discover of Juan Fernandez Island
- Season November to March
- Duration 5 days. Santiago – Santiago (Departures only on Tuesdays and Fridays)
- Currently this trip extension is available only for private groups. Please Contact us to receive your customised program with rates.
The Juan Fernandez Archipelago is a group of isolated volcanic islands located in the South Pacific, about 600 km off the Chilean coast. The archipelago consists of three main islands: Robinson Crusoe Island, Alexander Selkirk Sailor Island and Santa Clara Island.
A unique characteristic of the archipelago, which became a national park in 1935 and was named a World Biosphere Reserve by the UNESCO in 1977, is its great variety of endemic flora species, which make it a must-visit destination for botanists, ornithologists and nature lovers.
The islands are also known for having been the home of the Scottish sailor Alexander Selkirk for four years between 1704 and 1709, whose story inspired the classic novel “Robinson Crusoe” by Daniel Defoe. Nowadays, it is one of the islands’ main touristic attractions to visit the caves where Selkirk is supposed to have lived.
– Travel off the beaten track. Visit a remote archipelago that only few people get to see.
– Explore the unique flora and fauna of this UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
– Follow the trails of Robinson Crusoe.
– Eat delicious sea food such as lobster.
– Enjoy some free time on the islands’ beaches, horseback riding, fishing, diving or surfing.
No difficulty involved.
– The flight Santiago – Juan Fernandez – Santiago is included in the price.
– The air ticket includes the flight and the subsequent boat trip from the airport to the town of Cumberland.
– The boat trip takes approximately 1 h 15 min, but may be longer depending on weather and sea conditions.
– The allowed weight per passenger is only 10 kg and each extra kg costs approximately US $6.00.
– Flights leave from Santiago every Tuesday and Friday but could be postponed to the next day in case of bad weather.
– The flight departures require a minimum of 4 passengers and the maximum capacity of the airplane is 7 passengers (Therefore we recommend this extension especially for groups between 4 and 7 participants).
– In case the group consists of more than 7 participants, it is possible to find other alternatives (although the 7-people aircraft is the most convenient option regarding price and conditions).
Included in the price
– Transportation as described in the itinerary.
– Flight Santiago – Juan Fernandez – Santiago.
– Guided tours and visits in English language.
– Airport transfers.
– All activities as mentioned in the program.
– Accommodation and meals as mentioned in the itinerary.
Not included in the price
– International flights.
– Compulsory travel insurances (accidents, repatriation) and other insurances of any kind (e.g. medical, trip cancellation – strongly recommended).
– Personal equipment.
– Meals not mentioned in the itinerary.
– Any extra cost in case of early departure.
– Personal expenses.
– Optional activities such as horseback riding, fishing etc.
– Any service/cost not mentioned in the program.
ChileMontaña reserves the right to modify the prices published on this web site when the EURO or the DOLLAR suffers important changes in values.