Atacama & Argentina Northwest Treasures
Following the Century-Old Colonial Trade Route
- Season Year-round
- Duration 14 days. Santiago – Santiago
- Currently this trip is available only for private groups. Please Contact us to receive your customised program with rates.
Since many centuries, the North-Chilean Atacama Desert, the northwest of Argentina and the southern parts of Bolivia have been a region of major economic importance due their incredible richness in natural resources such as copper and silver. Already long before the Spanish colonization, this territory was fought over by a great number of ethnic groups and tribes such as the Inca, the Diaguitas and the Atacameños. In the 16th century, the Spanish arrived in this region and created one of the most important commercial routes in South America, connecting the Rio de la Plata basin with the Pacific coast.
During this two-week expedition, you will travel along the ancient trade route which takes you across the Atacama Desert and the Chilean and Argentinean Altiplano. On the way, you will discover a great variety of different cultures, historic sites and landscapes of magnificent beauty. You will also get the chance to explore the lifestyle of the descendants of the various ethnic groups that have populated this area over the past centuries. Join us for this magic trip through the secluded north of Chile and Argentina!
– Explore the magnificent and colorful Atacama Desert with its salt flats, lagoons and cultural sites.
– Follow a century-old trade route.
– Watch the sun rise at Geysers del Tatio on the Chilean Altiplano (4,200m).
– Relax in Baños de Puritama, one of the world’s most beautiful hot springs.
– Visit cultural sites and traditional villages and towns on the beautiful high plateaus, surrounded by 6,000m peaks.
– Discover unknown national parks in Chile and Argentina.
– Wander through Argentina’s wine capital Mendoza.
– Cross the Andes next to America’s highest peak Mt. Aconcagua.
– Visit Chile’s capital Santiago.
This is an overland trip and you will reach all points of interest by 4WD. Therefore no physical activity is required, although we offer some (optional) walks.
Included in the price
– Private transportation throughout the entire trip.
– Private bilingual guide(s).
– Accommodation as mentioned in the itinerary.
– Meals as mentioned in the itinerary.
– All activities and entrance fees as mentioned in the program.
– Airport transfers as mentioned in the program.
– First aid kit.
Not included in the price
– International and/or domestic flights.
– Compulsory travel insurances (accidents, repatriation) and other insurances of any kind (e.g. medical, trip cancellation – strongly recommended).
– Meals not mentioned in the itinerary.
– Personal expenses.
– Extra cost for early departures.
– Any service/cost not mentioned in the program.
ChileMontaña reserves the right to modify the prices published on this web site when the EURO or the DOLLAR suffers important changes in values.